Wednesday, September 1, 2010

How does your garden grow?

This spring I planted a garden. I had been thinking about it and finally just went out there and did it (seems to be a theme). We already had some garden boxes in place (thanks Uncle Mark) but they needed a major overhaul since they were very overgrown. Daren and I spent an entire afternoon pulling out plants, removing dirt and large rocks, and refilling with new soil. We even hacked off an end of the grapevines (yes, we have those too! Two types if you want any)! Eventually we finished and it was useable!

I had already started to grow cucumbers and those were ready to go into the ground. I also planted green beans, carrots, and now tomatoes all from seedlings. I tried watermelon but I just can’t seem to get them to grow. I am also enjoying potted basil and (almost) cilantro on my back porch.
carrots

The most exciting part of my newly discovered green thumb…the blueberry bushes have been revived!!! I thought I had killed them (that happens when you don’t take care of them!). They were basically just branches but, several pots of recycled coffee grounds later, they now have leaves! Now to focus on getting the strawberries to actually produce berries…

I don’t know how much I will actually harvest from my little garden. I knew it was late to be planting, but hey, it’s Seattle – our seasons are a little off. I do have a few cucumbers though and the beans are running so we’ll see!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment